Be a part of something great
10up is an award-winning full-service digital agency with a customer-centric service model and unrivaled leadership in open platforms and tools for digital makers and content creators. 10up’s services include user experience and interactive design, content strategy and creation, website and app engineering, SEO and online revenue strategy, and managed services. Their 200+ distributed team members provide end-to-end digital project expertise.
10up has a diverse client roster that includes Fortune 500 companies, influential content publishers, innovative startups, and impactful nonprofits. They’ve worked with some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Starbucks, ESPN, The New York Times Co., and Walmart.
About This Role
Your focus as Associate Design Director is amplifying impact through creative strategy and execution for critical pillar accounts — particularly our California government focused group. “Wow” is a common response from clients when you showcase your design solutions. You are a partner with our Accounts and Delivery teams to unlock key design opportunities. You actively shape the success of a project with the optimal design approach. Not only do you translate design language for a variety of stakeholders and team members, you help others achieve design fluency.
You are proactive with clients, clearly defining project strategies. You enjoy a variety of design challenges — you’ll work primarily on website design, but we’ll also stretch your skills with designing apps, systems, whitepapers, presentations, and more. You embrace ambiguity, brainstorm ways to lower risk, and can pivot if need be. Through your work and process, you are able to bring clarity to your design vision and how it ties to business outcomes. Your empathy is your strength: to the client, their audience, and to your team members. Beyond overseeing production designers work, you act as their mentor, enabling the team to execute industry-leading design outcomes.
- Own the creative design vision from concept to completion, in sync with client strategy and goals
- Push creative outcomes, challenging the status quo, but all with a practical lens
- Work in close collaboration with Project Management and Account Strategy to align on exemplary design outcomes
- Be the “go-to” person in your projects for any design-related questions as other disciplines expect your guidance.
- Lead workshops/discussions with clients, driving towards an understanding of brand promise, emotion, mood, and expectations
- Define mood boards, visual and brand direction, animations, illustrations, style tiles, and other representations of design direction to guide clients through design processes
- Design innovative, expressive, responsive layouts and experiences for web & mobile
- Present design solutions to client stakeholders, communicating not only what design decisions have been made but the rationale behind those decisions, anchoring design in the functional and emotional goals of the site
- Collaborate with user experience designers on wireframes, sitemaps, and page level interactions, as well as with front end engineers on interactive prototypes and production-ready web experiences
- Refine design solutions through iterations—from sketches to comps and on to real in-browser realizations—with an eye toward true interactivity and multi-device reality.
- Develop style guides, annotated comps, user guides, and other deliverables designed to preserve the essential elements of an overall design solution through development and into maintenance
- Have a collaborative, self-motivated, "always-learning" spirit, interested in identifying and solving the web’s design challenges one experience at a time
- Proactively seek opportunities to share these learnings within 10up and beyond
- Define design strategies and plan for ideal project outcomes alongside the PM and Accounts team
- Help Accounts and Biz Dev team on design estimates
- Mentor and oversee the work of production visual designers, fostering an environment of psychologically safe collaboration and growth
- Support the Visual Design Director:
- As a sounding board on design strategy, client pitches and proposals
- With identifying opportunities that improve design outcomes across the team
- With educating the greater team on the value of design
- Support and direct design subcontractors, as necessary
- Deep experience in digital design (understanding of design systems, responsive, front-end technologies, accessibility standards, etc.)
- 12 or more years of design or equivalent agency experience
- Experience working remotely
- Experience with content management systems and marketing platforms
- A detailed understanding of WordPress and its block editor
- Strong writing and communication skills, both with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience and proven success showcasing design to clients
- Excellent problem-solving skills, both with clients and technology/design
- Experience navigating corporate structures and approvals (e.g. addressing feedback from complex stakeholder groups, capturing and working with detailed design requirements, etc.)
- Experience with Figma and Adobe Creative Suite
Nice to have
- Experience working with Enterprise-level clients
- Experience with Miro and digital whiteboard tools to run various workshops
- Understanding of content strategy, publishing workflows, and content management platforms
- Understanding of motion design principles
- Experience designing with a UX lens and/or collaborating with UX designers
- A background in public speaking and/or writing
- Formal design education
- Remote working experience appreciated