Be a part of something great
10up is an award-winning full-service digital agency with a customer-centric service model and unrivaled leadership in open platforms and tools for digital makers and content creators. 10up’s services include user experience and interactive design, content strategy and creation, website and app engineering, SEO and online revenue strategy, and managed services. Our 250+ distributed team members provide end-to-end digital project expertise.
10up has a diverse client roster that includes Fortune 500 companies, influential content publishers, innovative startups, and impactful nonprofits. We’ve worked with some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Starbucks, ESPN, The New York Times Co., and Walmart.
10up has been leading the remote workforce movement for 10+ years. Our teams are distributed across six continents and 29 countries. All of our positions are fully remote (and always will be), and are open to applicants all around the world.
The Associate Director of Engineering oversees and ensures the success of advanced Web Engineering projects and Web Engineers. This person will serve as the Back End Engineering lead for large engineering projects for enterprise customers, delivering high quality customer service, team leadership, and code. Working in coordination with engineering, accounts, and client delivery leadership, the Associate Director of Engineering will work to identify and surface personnel deficiencies and opportunities for Back End Engineers to grow their skill sets and serve as a coach and mentor as needed. Additionally, this person will help drive Back End Engineering best practices, processes, and tooling at 10up.
This role is fully remote and is open to applicants located anywhere around the globe.
- Leading teams of Back End Engineers to architect and build projects in both client and server-side environments
- Supporting sales and project team to estimate and scope work for large engineering applications
- Coaching and mentoring teammates to boost the team's engineering abilities
- Collaborate with other Directors and members of leadership
- Writing modular, extensible, and performant modern code
- Provide code reviews and ensure compliance with 10up Best Practices across your projects
- Drive strategy and lead back end technical vision for large projects
- Leverage WordPress APIs and extend the WordPress admin experience
- Solve complex problems in simple ways
- Solve bugs and address client issues in a fast-paced environment
- Juggle current projects with incoming tasks
- Respond directly to clients courteously and clearly
- Solve client challenges with understanding and empathy
- Test solutions across multiple browsers and platforms in a local testing environment
- Deploy changes to live servers
- Assist in the remediation, enhancement, and maintenance of client sites
- At least two years in an engineering leadership role managing teams and mentoring other engineers
- At least eight years experience in back end focused web development
- Expert professional communicator both with technical and non-technical colleagues and clients
- Ability to expertly debug performance and caching issues
- Being collaborative, self-motivated, and an “always-learning” person, excited to create great web experiences
- Natural ability to ramp up and provide guidance to lesser experienced team members
- Experience with WordPress and the Gutenberg block editor
- Experience using Git
- Ability to set up a local environment for testing PHP code
Nice to have
- Agency experience
- Remote working experience appreciated
- Code-based portfolio. Link us to your GitHub account, upload a .zip, or both (source files are helpful to get a sense of your code structure and file organization)