Be a part of something great
10up is an award-winning full-service digital agency with a customer-centric service model and unrivaled leadership in open platforms and tools for digital makers and content creators. 10up’s services include user experience and interactive design, content strategy and creation, website and app engineering, SEO and online revenue strategy, and managed services. Our 250+ distributed team members provide end-to-end digital project expertise.
10up has a diverse client roster that includes Fortune 500 companies, influential content publishers, innovative startups, and impactful nonprofits. We’ve worked with some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Starbucks, ESPN, The New York Times Co., and Walmart.
10up has been leading the remote workforce movement for 10+ years. Our teams are distributed across six continents and 29 countries. All of our positions are fully remote (and always will be), and are open to applicants all around the world.
The Associate Director of Front End Engineering oversees and ensures the success of advanced Front End Engineering projects and Front End Engineers. This person will serve as the lead for large engineering projects for enterprise customers, delivering high-quality customer service, team leadership, and code. Working in coordination with engineering, accounts, and client delivery leadership, the Associate Director of Front End Engineering will work to identify and surface personnel deficiencies and opportunities for engineers to grow their skillsets and serve as a coach and mentor as needed. Additionally, this person will help drive engineering best practices, processes, and tooling at 10up.
This role is fully remote and is open to applicants located anywhere around the globe.
- Leading teams of engineers to architect and build finely crafted projects in both client and server-side environments
- Supporting sales and project team to estimate and scope work for large engineering applications
- Oversee, coaching and mentor assigned FE team to boost the team's engineering abilities and provide support
- Drive, manage, and ensure compliance with front end engineering practices and solutions
Collaborate with other Directors and members of leadership
- Writing modular, extensible, and performant modern code
- Provide code reviews and ensure compliance with 10up Best Practices across your projects
- Provide QA reviews and project checkpoints to ensure high-quality standards are being met for our clients
- Drive strategy and lead front end technical vision for large projects across the FE team
- Leverage WordPress APIs and extend the WordPress admin experience
- Have an eye and understanding for design intent and champion strong UI and UX across all front end deliverables
- Strong collaboration and partnership with other disciplines - including Web Engineering and Visual Design
- Solve complex problems in simple ways
- Solve bugs and address client issues in a fast-paced environment
- Juggle personnel, project and administrative responsibilities
- Respond directly to clients courteously and clearly
- Solve client, project and personnel challenges with understanding and empathy
- Test solutions across multiple browsers and platforms in a local testing environment.
- Deploy changes to live servers
- Assist in the remediation, enhancement, and maintenance of client sites
- At least two years in a front end engineering leadership position
- At least eight years experience with front end engineering, web development, web engineering, or a similar field
- Experience providing code reviews, coaching, and mentorship to other engineers
- Expert in interpreting design in the production of polished UI/UX front end experiences
- Expert ability to transform a static comp into a website from the ground up
- Expert professional communicator both with technical and non-technical colleagues and clients
- Being collaborative, self-motivated, and an “always-learning” person, excited to create great web experiences
- Strong ability to communicate with client stakeholders, both technical and non-technical, about the impact of decisions around markup approach, cross-platform responsive interactions, performance, and topics like accessibility and internationalization
- Natural ability to ramp up and provide guidance to lesser experienced team members.
- Experience in task runners and bundlers like Webpack
- Experience with coded style guides and/or design systems
- Experience with basic PHP, ideally in the context of WordPress themes
- Experience with WordPress and the Gutenberg block editor
- Experience and expertise with third party integrations and client-side APIs
- Experience using Git
- Understanding of WCAG accessibility compliance
- Ability to implement accessibility standards as well as audit existing websites
Nice to have
- Agency experience
- Remote working experience appreciated
- Code-based and interactive portfolio. Link us to your GitHub account, upload a .zip, or both (source files are helpful to get a sense of your code structure and file organization while an interactive front end is helpful to get a sense of your expertise in UI/UX and design interpretation)
- Experience with Figma or Design Software
- Advanced understanding of as implementations in a responsive environment