Be a part of something great
10up is an award-winning full-service digital agency with a customer-centric service model and unrivaled leadership in open platforms and tools for digital makers and content creators. 10up’s services include user experience and interactive design, content strategy and creation, website and app engineering, SEO and online revenue strategy, and managed services. Our 250+ distributed team members provide end-to-end digital project expertise.
10up has a diverse client roster that includes Fortune 500 companies, influential content publishers, innovative startups, and impactful nonprofits. We’ve worked with some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Starbucks, ESPN, The New York Times Co., and Walmart.
10up has been leading the remote workforce movement for 10+ years. Our teams are distributed across six continents and 29 countries. All of our positions are fully remote (and always will be), and are open to applicants all around the world.
10up is looking for an Open Source Support Engineer to join our Open Source Practice, focusing on our library of open source solutions and their users, along with bridging between the needs of our client-facing team and the priorities of the open source software we use every day.
This role is fully remote and is open to applicants located anywhere around the globe.
You might be a good fit for this role if:
- You take pride in figuring out why a user is unhappy and turning their feelings around through good communication and realizing solutions.
- You feel strongly about clearly defining problems before working through solutions.
- You’ve had some experience maintaining an open source library or plugin.
- You’re comfortable researching and understanding code history and decision-making processes using tools like Git and GitHub. Bonus if you’ve ever called it “code archaeology”.
- You’ve participated in a WordPress core release cycle.
- You enjoy communicating and working asynchronously on platforms like Slack and Teamwork.
- You thrive working with a small agile team in a fully remote, distributed environment.
- Respond to, triage, escalate, and resolve user questions on various forums, including the WordPress.org plugin repository and GitHub source code repositories. Responses range from acknowledgement of receipt to documentation of solutions to creating patches.
- Maintain and update various 10up open source solutions based on triaged reports and roadmaps. Technical tools used include HTML, CSS, JS, React, PHP, WordPress, and Git.
- Advising project teams and engineers who have integration issues with both internal and external open source projects. This includes collaborating on near-term solutions and keeping a pulse on reported issues to update the team on relevant changes and fixes. For example, noting that a project team has been having issues with a certain API, reporting the issues upstream, and notifying the project team when the API has been fixed and any workarounds can be removed.
- Familiarity with the WordPress ecosystem, e.g. knowledge of popular tools, plugins, frameworks, best practices, and conventions.
- Familiarity with community management on GitHub and WordPress.org.
- Comfortable managing a local environment (e.g., WP Local Docker, wp env, Local by Flywheel) for testing plugins, themes, and client sites.
- Comfortable working in an asynchronous, distributed team with strong communication skills using tools like Slack, Teamwork, GitHub, and Gmail.
- Ability to communicate professionally with technical and non-technical colleagues and clients.
- Proficiency in verbal and written English.
Nice to have
- Experience working for demanding or enterprise-level clients.
- Evidence of contribution to the broader open web community.
- Remote working experience appreciated.