Be a part of something great
10up is an award-winning full-service digital agency with a customer-centric service model and unrivaled leadership in open platforms and tools for digital makers and content creators. 10up’s services include user experience and interactive design, content strategy and creation, website and app engineering, SEO and online revenue strategy, and managed services. Our 250+ distributed team members provide end-to-end digital project expertise.
10up has a diverse client roster that includes Fortune 500 companies, influential content publishers, innovative startups, and impactful nonprofits. We’ve worked with some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Starbucks, ESPN, The New York Times Co., and Walmart.
10up has been leading the remote workforce movement for 10+ years. Our teams are distributed across six continents and 29 countries. All of our positions are fully remote (and always will be), and are open to applicants all around the world.
The Senior Systems Engineer provides expertise to 10up teams in all topics related to hosting and server infrastructure. Our Systems Engineers work primarily at the Linux command line, but must consider the web environment as a whole, including DNS, CDNs, WAFs, and hosted cloud appliances. They are comfortable setting up a Linux server from scratch and are effective at troubleshooting WordPress issues in collaboration with Web Engineers.
This role is fully remote and is open to applicants located anywhere around the globe.
- Solve the difficult systems problems on client servers.
- Work with Team Leads and the Director of Systems Engineering to make hosting recommendations to clients and architect custom cloud solutions.
- Provide expertise on all parts of Linux systems (beyond the PHP code).
- Continually improve the security and reliability of client sites with the latest tactics, tools, and policies developed at 10up.
- Take ownership of our clients' servers; it is the Systems Engineer’s responsibility to keep everything running smoothly, including patches, upgrades, and capacity planning.
- Provide support across 10up to help engineers solve problems.
- Help shape policy and systems strategy at 10up.
- Experience managing the day-to-day technical needs of a webserver, including scaling, security, and performance.
- Comfort with Linux shell scripting and command line experience.
- Experience in platform monitoring.
- Familiarity with the leading cloud technologies and best practices.
- Understanding of IP protocols, port interface configurations, and general network knowledge.
- Expertise in Linux, NGINX, Apache, and MySQL configuration and troubleshooting.
- Availability to handle emergencies and support team members in troubleshooting without impacting their ability to deliver on-time for client projects.
Nice to have
- Some PHP and WordPress experience preferred.
- Customer/client support experience.
- Hands-on time with Docker or container orchestration.
- Fluency with configuration management and orchestration systems such as Ansible, Puppet, and Chef.
- Strong ability to learn and apply new/emerging technologies.
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly with internal teams and customers.
- Being a team player willing to go above and beyond to help others.
- Ability to react quickly and adapt to changes in priorities, circumstances, and direction.
- Remote working experience appreciated.