Adds friendly permalink support, template files, and a conditional for public, non-hierarchical custom post types.
WordPress 3.0 opens the door for entirely new content management possibilities with custom post types. As awesome as it is, the first version to implement custom post types is missing a few things. This plug-in patches one of those holes: templates and friendly permalinks that enable “archives” for custom post types, much the like the “blog home” is an archive for all “post” post types.
This plug-in will only add custom post type archives for non-hierarchical (post-like), public custom post types with a “slug” or permalink.
For example, suppose you have a custom post type “Movies”. WordPress 3.0 takes care of permalinks for individual movie content, for example, http://yourblog.com/movies/casa-blanca/. You might think you could get an archive of all recently added movies (just like the blog home is an archive of all recently added posts) by going to http://yourblog.com/movies/, but this isn’t supported out of the gate. You can do it without permalinks by going to http://yourblog.com/?post_type=movies, but even then, you’re forced to use the index.php template file in your theme. This plug-in enables archive permalinks (yourblog.com/movies), adds two new template files in the hierarchy (i.e. type-movies.php and type.php), and adds a new “is_custom_post_type_archive” conditional you can use in your theme!
- Adds support for custom post type archive permalinks, i.e.
yourblog.com/(custom-post-type-name)– including paging (/page/2/) and feedS (/feed/)
- Adds two new template files to the hierarchy,
type-(custom-post-type-name).php(or post type slug) and
- Adds new body classes to custom post type archives,
- Fixes the
is_homeconditional check on custom post type archives (incorrectly reports true by default)
- Adds a new conditional,
is_custom_post_type_archivefor use in your themes: can optionally be passed name of post type
- Fixes the wp_title output on custom post type archives to show the custom type’s label
- Automatically adds feed links for custom post type archives when on a custom archive or singular custom post type if “automatic feed links” is enabled in your theme
What didn’t make it in this pre-1.0 release:
- New navigation menu widget for easily adding custom post type archives to navigation