As a Sacramento-headquartered, full-service digital agency on a mission to make a better web, 10up is uniquely positioned to assist California government in digital transformation efforts across the state.
- California Department of Rehabilitation Approved Accessibility Vendor
- California Multiple Award Schedules (CMAS) Contract Holder (No. 3-22-01-1052)
From government, higher education, and healthcare to enterprise organizations, non-profits, and major media publishers, 10up has partnered with some of the world’s most notable brands to create highly accessible, task-driven, user-centric, engaging websites that are easy to use and manage.
Scroll down to review some of our notable projects or reach out to discuss how 10up can support your digital needs.
California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
10up was engaged to completely revamp the California DMV website, and in parallel, create and launch a microsite dedicated to education about and support for REAL ID. Later, when COVID-19 unexpectedly hit California mid-project, 10up would also pivot to collaborate with DMV and its partners to swiftly roll out a Virtual Field Office to facilitate continuity of services.
Building a digital property for the entire state of California centered on measurably improving customer service velocity and user experience required 10up to operationalize a sizable, cross-discipline project team that spanned nearly every discipline:
- User experience design
- Content strategy and copywriting
- Visual design, including original illustration
- Front-end, back-end, and systems engineering
- Quality assurance
- Analytics consulting and search engine optimization
- Cloud infrastructure engineering, including 24/7 support
The full project came in on time, under budget, and in the first week after launch, the new DMV website effortlessly supported 34+ million page views and more than 2 million visitors.
It went on to win a State Government Experience COVID-19 Special Award for “innovative and effective modernization to enhance services and citizen experience during the pandemic,” in the Center for Digital Government’s 4th Annual Government Experience Awards and was an Honoree in the Government & Civil Innovation category of the 25th Annual Webby Awards.
Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD)
10up worked with California’s Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) to redesign and launch a new WordPress-powered website. To remain fiscally responsible and be good stewards of taxpayer dollars, 10up has since repurposed code from the OSHPD site implementation for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) website and the quick launch of the DMV REAL ID microsite.
California state agencies like OSHPD share data on the California Health and Human Services Open Data Portal to make it available to other agencies and the public. 10up engineered an integration with the California Open Data Portal API to pull a subset of OSHPD’s data into their new WordPress site, ensuring the data is consistent across platforms.
To empower government ownership over its digital properties, 10up facilitated a knowledge transfer process with OSHPD that included training engineers on WordPress and Git-based deployment workflows, delivering ongoing weekly training via screen share, and developing a content management training curriculum that helped OSHPD train program managers to use WordPress and manage their own content.
California Grants Portal
The California State Library (CSL) hired 10up to build a centralized web portal for all grants administered by California government and manage hosting for the site on Amazon Web Services infrastructure. 10up architected the portal platform, created the technical execution plan, designed the user interface and administrative backend, and engineered a method for state agencies that administer California grants to submit their grant data through the portal.
- Editorial controls give CSL granular controls over agency submission capabilities, access rules, and notifications and provides agency oversight for those submitting grants.
- Custom integrations — such as the one with Elasticsearch — ingest content via APIs and make it available in the web portal. The same data is then fed to third-party data access points like the California Open Data Portal for anyone to use.
The California Grants Portal won a State Government Project Experience Award in the Center for Digital Government’s 4th Annual Government Experience Awards and was one of only five government websites nominated in the Government & Civil Innovation category of the 25th Annual Webby Awards.
The City and County of San Francisco Employees’ Retirement System
The City and County of San Francisco Employees’ Retirement System, which administers employee benefit programs for approximately 58,000 members, engaged 10up to improve its existing website, rebuild the hosting environment, and engineer secure member access.
Mysfers.org provides up-to-date information and timely access to member data through a secure portal. Increased digital self-service opportunities empower members to complete tasks such as address changes, pension amount and account balance verification, reporting on prior service estimates, appointment scheduling, and refund processing, which has in turn, decreased order processing time and minimized office visits.
Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)
Up against the AB434 legislative deadline, the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) engaged 10up to migrate its non-compliant website to a compliant WordPress multisite network.
The existing website was made up of static, hard-coded HTML pages: more than 3,000 documents that were difficult to update and cumbersome to use. The new WordPress-powered website, delivered in only three months, fully meets AB434 and WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility standards. The multisite network allows CDCR to easily create subsites and provide granular editorial controls for different divisions, while the content management system allows program managers and content creators to keep the subsites updated with ease.
To help CDCR ensure ongoing accessibility compliance, 10up engineered a content accessibility checker directly into the WordPress editing experience.
After content creators draft a new page or post, a simple button-click facilitates a scan of the new content for accessibility compliance. The tool returns an accessibility rating of green (good), yellow (okay), or red (poor), along with granular tips to address the feedback. Saving the State of California vital budget resources, 10up invested in improving and generalizing its custom WordPress accessibility checker, which it has since repurposed for the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website, with plans to expand its availability for other government agencies.
Cloud Hosting And Security
For government agencies transitioning from on-premise data centers to cloud hosting, 10up provides infrastructure consulting and support for IT departments architecting solutions on their own platforms.
- 10up is a Microsoft Azure partner and Amazon Web Services (AWS) registered partner
- Our systems engineers hold designations as AWS Certified Systems Architects and AWS Cloud Practitioners
- We have a certification in Cloud Platform for Technical Assessment
10up’s Managed Services division specializes in establishing and configuring cloud hosting infrastructure to support secure, scalable, and performant sites.
- 10up audited the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development’s (OSHPD) existing Microsoft Azure Cloud infrastructure and delivered a tailored set of guidelines and best practices that enabled OSHPD systems engineers to confidently launch and host their WordPress site. To support the launch, 10up collaborated with OSHPD to configure WordPress and its hosting environment on the existing infrastructure, provide security recommendations, and support load testing and security audits.
- Building on its partnership with Amazon Web Services (AWS), 10up successfully helped Los Angeles County — overwhelmed by COVID-19 online needs — establish and migrate to scalable, durable infrastructure overnight.
- For the California DMV, 10up drew on its deep experience optimizing WordPress cloud infrastructure for clients with strict compliance requirements to design and engineer a custom managed hosting solution within DMV’s AWS accounts that delivers maximum flexibility and cost effectiveness. The architecture included considerations for DMV APIs, existing firewalls, strong passwords, image caching, and third-party provider security layers, as well as services like Qmatic, WebSeal, and SilverLine.