Yesterday, Washington, D.C. NPR regional affiliate WAMU released a fully reimagined website in partnership with 10up. Designed to elegantly present written and audio content, we engineered a cutting-edge WordPress implementation that leverages React.js and the WordPress REST API to create an immersive single-page app experience. Visitors can listen to audio content using the player bar pinned to the bottom of the screen, without interruption, as they browse the site on a phone, tablet, or desktop browser.
Other highlights include:
- Complete homepage and topic page curation using the WordPress Customizer;
- Attractive ad integrations, including fully native DFP ads embedded within the audio player;
- API integrations that provide audio and written content from the NPR API and Public Media Platform;
- Sitewide alerts and calls to action integrated prominently and seamlessly;
- Progressive rendering, with a fast-loading app “shell” that initially serves page content from WordPress until the React app renders completely.
Check out our project showcase to learn more about this exciting collaboration.